Wednesday, April 25, 2007

DisPlaceD


Some friends of mine are helping out with "Displace Me," an event being run by Invisible Children this weekend. I remember when Jason, Bobby, and Laren first screened their movie at USD and how incredibly naive they were. At that point they were three very immature idealistic guys with a funny documentary. Now they've turned that movie into a huge organization/movement working to end war and poverty in Uganda...it's a little crazy.

Displace me is a night of solidarity with the women, men, and especially the children displaced by war in Uganda. Thousands of young people around the United States are going to sleep out in cardboard boxes.

I commend the audacity of Invisible Children, but it's still hard for me to see beyond the fresh white faces who run the organization. I think it's great how much awareness their sleek marketing raises, but I still question what long term effect this all will have. Still, getting thousands of hyper-privileged U.S. youth and young adults to spend one night thinking about how so much of the world lives, that amazes me. At the same time I think back to that original screening. Bobby answered one of my questions by talking about branding. Every time a world conflict or disaster happens, NGOs show up and try to get the word out that they are there, so that the world knows that their "brand" is doing something. I wonder how much Invisible Children has become the "brand" for young adults who want to get involved with Africa. Still, they impress me. I mean, I'm writing a blog about they're idea "Displace Me."

Being displaced comes with a toll. The more we move outside the expectations of our culture, the more we feel like a stranger in our own world. I was amazed how much Mira Nair's new movie "Namesake" resonated with me when she had one of her characters speak about the U.S. as "That lonely country..." I think for most people it's pretty hard to figure out who you are, which seems to be much of the work you do in your teens and 20s...figuring out who you are/want to be. Adding to that a disavowal of what your own culture markets as "success" definitely complicates the matter.

But God calls us to be displaced. Jesus and his band of disciples lived radically displaced lives among the poor and the left out. As Christians, we are called to embrace every opportunity for God to break through the walls our culture builds around us, to actively work to break down the barriers between ourselves and others. That feeling of frustrated loneliness, confusion, mixed loyalties, can be holy. We are called to be homesick for the Kingdom of God, we miss a place that we are called to be part of bringing about. Until then we feel DisPlaceD.

2 comments:

andy said...

i know how you feel about invisible children... like, there's really no way around this, but it feels kind of racist to see a bunch of white kids out there trying to offer support for a black country. better than no support at all, but still... it just feels condescending.

and the whole "branded ministry" idea is also a little annoying... africa IS the new black (pun intended)... it's cool to care about africa and, again, it's better than apathy... but still, it sometimes feels like an image-booster rather than a long-term commitment.

is this what kant felt like? if you gain something good from helping somebody else, is that act all of a sudden cheapened or not virtuous? meh. *drinks*

heart,
andy.

Hei-Yue said...

hey-

I'm a part of the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at Columbia here in NYC (yes, i know, how shocking to find an Episcopalian in an 'evangelical' ministry....) and we actually have a community partnership with Gulu, Uganda through World Vision, and do a lot with Invisible Children, too. We fundraised almost $40,000 for Gulu last year, and then actually had the opportunity to go there and see the fruits of our fundraising.

That being said, I understand what you mean about the branding and marketing of these sorts of organizations. It's how I've been starting to feel about the Save Darfur campaign. I see people wearing the t-shirts screaming "Stop the Genocide in Sudan" all over campus, but it's been such a long time. I mean, I was working on an advocacy campaign for Darfur as a sophomore in high school. People know about it now, and they 'stand in solidarity' with it, but when is it too far? Standing in solidarity with Africa is slowly becoming the cool thing to do--and of course there are positive aspects to that b/c it's always good to have a more aware generation, but if it's just for the status and not from the heart, that's when we have a problem.
I'm guilty of it, too. But I think that's when, as Christians, we just have to constantly turn to Him and let it be for the purpose of serving Him to our full capacity.


I love how I met you for just 5 minutes and am now bombarding your blog... wish I had talked to you more last weekend! But hope we can continue in conversation :)

peace,
hei-yue
heiyue.pang@gmail.com